Having a premature or sick child is naturally an extremely stressful time for any parent. To date there has not been any real guidance for employers to assist them in managing such difficult and distressing times for their employees. Acas has published new guidance today.
The guidance provides some of the following points by way of assistance:
- Consider whether the employee could be helped to meet unexpected costs, for example, travel to and from hospital visits
- Remind the employee of their statutory entitlements, for example, Statutory Maternity Pay
- Approach communications in a sensitive and compassionate manner
- Speak to the employee about what they would like their colleagues to know about their situation
- Adopt a flexible approach towards the employee taking time off. Keep them up to date with leave entitlements
You can find the full guidance as published on the Acas website by following this link – http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6049