Family Mediation Week – Prioritising the Children
Separation from an ex-partner can understandably be an extremely distressing and emotional time especially when you have children and the future of their care is uncertain. We have put together the five main benefits that mediation can have for your children when considering mediation as a way forward: –
- LIFELONG TOOL – Mediation is not just a quick fix. Even when the process ends, you will be equipped with the skills and tools to be able to approach any future disputes in an amicable and productive manner which ultimately can only have a positive impact upon your children;
- AVOIDING ANGER – Children are very perceptive to anger and negative emotions. In order to avoid any long term emotional damage, it is important to find ways of channelling such emotions. Regardless of how you may feel towards your ex-partner, ultimately you are co-parents and should demonstrate to your children that you are capable of maintaining an amicable relationship despite the circumstances;
- PLAN – Mediation can help you as parents to come up with a care plan that works for both parties and is in the best interests of the children. By having a plan that you both feel you have contributed towards, you can then work together to ensure that your children’s needs are met;
- PERSONAL – The court process can be long, draining and can sometimes turn nasty. Coming to an agreement through mediation can be far more beneficial for the children than leaving the decision as to their care in the hands of the court who know nothing about your family other than the papers presented to them; and
- CHILD’S VOICE – Whilst as parents you may both have views on what you think is in your children’s best interests, it is very important not to neglect the fact that your children most likely have an opinion too especially as they get older. Some mediators are also qualified Child Consultants like our Sally Clark and can can speak to your children, where appropriate as part of the mediation process and with all parties consent.
For more information or to make a referral to our mediation service in Leeds or Harrogate please visit our mediation web page. Alternatively contact us on 0113 322 9222.