Select Page

UK holiday bookings have risen above pre-pandemic levels despite the cost of living crisis beginning to bite as Brits lead the way in demand for summer breaks abroad. Many firms including TUI are telling holidaymakers not to expect last-minute deals due to the surge in demand.

Of course, many countries do still have checks and procedures in place as Covid continues to circulate and travel restrictions can and have changed quickly in the course of the pandemic, so it is advisable to check the latest Foreign Office advice before you travel. But for now, at least, the excitement and anticipation of a holiday abroad is something we Brits’ are making the most of.

In addition to this, there are many families and individuals who have further complications when it comes to travelling with children. Whether you are separated, divorced, have a different surname to your children or you are a grandparent taking your grandchildren on a relaxing holiday, there are a number of points for you to consider.

Top Tips for Travel
  1. Consult those with parental responsibility for the children

    All parents have parental responsibility if they are named on the child’s birth certificate or where it has been obtained via a Court Order. It is important to ensure you have obtained the consent of everyone who has parental responsibility for the child to travel abroad.
  2. Have a letter of consent

    Having a letter of consent from everyone with parental responsibility for the child you are travelling with is a helpful way of evidencing that you do in fact have permission to travel with the child.To add further weight to the letter, it is advisable to have it prepared and signed by a solicitor, especially if neither parent is present on the holiday. An example of this would be where the child is travelling with grandparents.
  3. Have evidence of your relationship to the child

    It is also useful if you have certified copies of documents which evidence your relationship to the child, for example, their birth certificate.
  4. Contact the airline you are travelling with

    It is always advisable to check with the airline you are travelling with to find out whether they have any requirements that you need to comply with when travelling with a child in these circumstances.
  5. Check with the local Embassy of the country you are travelling to

    Consult the local Embassy of the country you are travelling to in order to confirm whether the country itself has any specific requirements.

It is important to note that none of the above provides an absolute guarantee that no issues will arise for you in the event you are a parent travelling with your child who has a different surname to you or if you are grandparents travelling abroad with your grandchild.

However, our top tips should minimise the likelihood of you facing difficulties and hopefully make your travels as smooth and stress free as possible.

If you think that you may need a letter of consent preparing, at Consilia Legal we charge £125 plus VAT for this service.

If you would like any further information in relation to travelling abroad with a child, please do not hesitate to contact our family solicitors at Consilia Legal by emailing or calling 0113 322 9222 and we will be more than happy to speak with you.